Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Lunch Time Musings

OK, I work for a news outlet, and am exposed to many different news events, stories and opinions every working minute. I think over the years I have developed a 'shield' of some sort by not having too strong an opinion on things and events not directly affecting me.

When at work I try to discuss two things, TV (shows) and Sports (mostly Baseball). Those are usually safest and I know I am not influenced by my over exposure.
Maybe that seems like a cop-out, but I believe you can be influenced by repetition even if it goes against you ideals.

For example, "The Passion of Christ". Big movie, big to do, big extremes of opinion. My view on this is the same for all 'entertainment', be it movies, television, music, or books. If you don't like it turn it off or don't go. SIMPLE. Yet if I express what I hear all day long I am either an Anti-Semite, or a Bible Thumper. It is hard to listen to such extreme opinions all day and not quote or relate to it in some way no matter how firm your beliefs are.
As for how I feel, I intend to see this film. I am a Catholic and can appreciate what the producers and director have made here. Now there is another side that believes this will set back inter-religion relations and cause 'mass hatred' and 'religious based violence'. To these members of this faith, please shut up. Thank you. You do not believe as we (members of my faith) do. Christ is not a religious figure to you, this is not part of your faith. Keep your noses out of it. Our faith is based on love and forgiveness. If you took the time to learn what this movie is about you will realize that Christ took the pain and suffering heaped upon him by others and turned and forgave them. HE did not cry for vengeance, did not call for extermination. As my pastor said in his homily this weekend, "Jesus could have SMOKED them all where they stood, but he turned the other cheek and died for our sins. The Jews did not kill Jesus, we did. He died so we might live!"
Take a note and move on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home