Friday, July 02, 2004

Happy Fourth Weekend

We had a professor at Oswego State that started the first class of Broadcasting 101 like this: "Nights, Weekends, Holidays, if you don't mind working them welcome to television, otherwise this is your last chance to get out." Well I should have listened.

I got my first Freelance job in 1984 with National Geographic, my first PBS job in 1988, my first commercial station job in 1992 and started my 4th commercial station job in 2003. I have worked just about every holiday (major and minor) since 1992 and that is fine. After 12 years you just accept it, sure I bitch about it but the only real holiday that bothers me is Christmas. The boy is 11 now and maybe I have had 1 Christmas off with him so far. That pisses me off, especially when single folks, guys with no kids and non-Catholics get it off and just sleep in or hang out on the couch all day......

Anyway I was a little surprised when I looked at the schedule for next week and saw I only had to work for an hour and a half on Monday (July 4th Observed). When I asked the boss, she said no use having my sit around for 6 hours doing nothing when she can have the AM director do my show (he has Sunday off and is extra on Monday). I thanked her and will enjoy a little 'holiday' time with the family.

Which is very different from my old station, We have had several holidays were the Noon Show was cancelled and the last thing we did was at 9am, but the boss made us stay till 2pm because the night Crew had to stay their full shift and they might complain we got some time off. What type of shit is that? I know this week NBC had tennis and cancelled several Noon shows and I guarantee that no one was allowed to leave early, not even on a rotating basis. For goodness sake let one guy go home early everyday, they work hard and work early mornings, weekends and holidays!!! Grow some balls HC and cut them some slack. God I am glad to be out of there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home