Saturday, November 02, 2002

You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide,
You still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill.
I will choose a path that's clear,
I will choose free will.


Friday was a GREAT day!!!! After 16 months of hard work, disappointment, and disaster I was able to organize the TV guys at a local race track. Now there are only 8 of them, but they are treated like CRAP (one was even fired for talking to a union, we are trying to get his job back!!). They get no benefits, no time off, no overtime pay and if the boss doesn't like them he cuts thier hours for a few weeks to punish them. However, if was taking SO LONG that several of them gave up and wanted no part in the union........until yesterday. We finally were able to set up an election with the State Labor Board and all 8 people showed up, the vote was 8-0 in favor of the union!!!! I was so happy, I could have cried!!! Now the real work begins, negotiating a contract but at least we got our foot in the door and can get these people a better work environment! As for me, what do I get out of it, well I only get $25 a month do be Local President, so I aint in it for the money. This work requires about 20 hours per week PLUS my regular full time job (40 hours + overtime) to bring home the bacon. They came to me for help and I was able to do something for them, that's good enough for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home