Sunday, October 23, 2005

Moving Out

Went to see Moving Out last night on the Broadway ticket in Indianapolis. Let me say first that I love Billy Joel, he was one of my first concerts and I traveled many times to see him when New York shows sold out. Let me also say that I enjoy Broadway shows, my last night in New York City as a resident was spent on Broadway. Just setting the scene.

Moving Out has great music, the band was great and the singer fantastic. Outside of that it is NOT a Broadway musical. See Greece, Le Mis, Jesus Christ Superstar, Cats and Starlight Express for a Broadway musical, this is Joel's music set to interpretive dance. As far as dance goes, I spent the past 13 weeks NOT WATCHING So you Think You Can Dance and then had to sit through 2 hours of it set to music I love, not good. There is no speaking, the characters wear jackets with their name on it so you can tell who they are, if you care. I got one thing out of last nights performance, Brenda is a bitch and a whore and I felt like booing her at the curtain call. Now the story, if you want music with a theme, a rock opera, songs that relate to each other, telling a story then you have tons to choose from Pink Floyd's The Wall, Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, The Who's Tommy, Rush's 2112, Dark Side of the Moon, anything by Coheed and Cambria. Those are rock opera's, those relate, hell even Prince's Purple Rain, but you can not just take 24 songs from a musician's 30 year career and just throw them together to make a story line...i was not happening.

All in all the wife and I had a nice dinner and an evening at the theater, and a lot of laughs in the car ride home...

1 Comments:

At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes a lot to get me to a live performance, and I'm almost always disappointed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home