Thursday, February 28, 2008

Ground Zero...

After all these years I finally went to Ground Zero while in NYC for the wedding this weekend. I expected all sorts of emotions. We approached from the south which is where I would come from when leaving my Dad's office and walking to my Grandmother's office. I looked up and for the first time in 30 odd years they were not there. My heart broke all over again and I felt my eyes fill with tears.

I was very silent as we crossed the street, we were packed in with dozens of other people and entered the Path covering (Subway entrance, now closed) and walked to the fence and peered in.

I was done when I saw the emptiness from afar but my son wanted to see the site. I looked into the hole and put my arm around my son next to me. They walked around and looked at the plans for the site and some information on various boards. I walked over towards the North Tower site and then was ready to go. While I am glad I finally went, I do not think I will ever go back again.

Sixty years ago a nation rallied behind it's President following a similar attack that killed less Americans. For four years we threw everything we had into destroying the powers that attacked us and their allies. We still talk of their service and dedication and sacrifice.

Seven years ago a nation rallied behind it's President for a year. Then turned on him, calling him a joke, pulling funding for our troops, complaining that we have to take our shoes off at the airport. What happened to us?

2 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger Mindie said...

Yeah. Wow. I haven't been there, and not sure I want to go, either. What an experience, though.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Aunt Murry said...

Society does not have the same morals, values or general respect for one another let alone a president that it had 60 years ago and that is so sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home