Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Late Shift, Oscars and Party Update.

Today I work the late shift. Not that bad as it is basically 3-11pm. I do not like it because I do not see my son and wife at all when I work it, but the man who cuts my check needs the shift filled for the next few weeks and I need the check acoming.

The Oscars were Sunday and not to rehash every talk show, radio show and other bloggers so I will not. What I will say is that we were big Oscar watchers for many years and now we don't feel like there is any reason. We are big film people, I prefer action, horror, sci-fi, thrillers but will watch just about anything (except The English Patient). So it is a little sad that we have lost interest in the night we had always looked forward to. Then it occurred to me that the Oscars are all about making Hollywood look good to the average man on the street when we watched one bit by Chris Rock. See Hollywood is all about the money and the blockbuster, period. They make the schlock that people want to buy popcorn and sit in the theater and get blown away by and there is nothing wrong with that. It has brought movies such as Spider-Man, Independence Day, The Lord of the Rings, The Sixth Sense, etc to the enjoyment of many. Some are well written, others well Directed and a few well acted, but all were made 1) by the creative process of those involved and 2) because a studio executive thought it would MAKE MONEY. Then the Oscar nominations come out and a majority of them are attempts by Hollywood to say, Look at us we make moral stories and period pieces and "Good" film like back in the day. I call BULLSHIT... and nothing exposed it more than Chris Rock's trip the Magic Johnson Theater where he asked movie patrons if they had seen any of the nominated films and most didn't and the audience laughed because they didn't see Million Dollar Baby but they saw White Chicks. Now I admit White Chicks to me was pure crap but some executive OK'ed it but I drew the line when one guy mentioned Saw. Saw was a well written, well acted and well directed thriller that I felt was not only effective as a movie but fresh and not a retread, sequel, or remake and the audience laughed because it is not a real film. The arrogance!

I am so pissed now that the party Update will wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home