Monday, October 03, 2005

Racism

I have had this post in my head for awhile now but did not want it to come out the wrong way but then saw a story in the news the other day and felt that enough is enough...Racism is alive and well in America and I feel that the black community has been fostering it for a long time.

I read a story that survivors of the 2 hurricanes thought that the Red Cross is too white and black from New Orleans do not feel comfortable with them helping them.

Every time there is a police incident where shots are fired and a person is killed, if that person is black then the police are racist.

When an organization hires a new Manager, CEO or Coach and they are not black the company/team is racist.

When a person looks over their shoulder at night while walking downtown and hurries a little when they see a group of men coming up behind them, if the group is black that person is racist.

I know we do not live in a perfect society and that racism and sexism and weightism and whateverism is alive and well in parts of society. But it is time to move on and foster a better life and lifestyle for those that come after us.

Let me say this, Slavery is wrong, the US fought to abolish it AND WON over a hundred years ago, let it go!!! My ancestors were in Italy and Ireland and never owned slaves, stop throwing that shit in my face. Rome was built on the backs of slaves, the pyramids were built on the backs of slaves, Irish were treated as second class citizens when we first came over and there is a greater chance of having a Black President then an Italian one in my lifetime but I am not still bitching about it.

You are treated the way you treat others, I believe and people's attitudes towards you reflect your attitudes towards other people. When you try and live the gangsta life and talk about your bitches and hoes, and everything is nigger this and nigger that you wonder why people stare at you and are cautious around you and are scared of you and do not trust you and will not hire you. I understand and have seen that many things are unique in black culture and have lived with and worked with and befriended many black people. I see a strong community, with strong families, strong faith, strong work ethics, like I see in Asian communities, and Italian communities, Native American communities, Latino communities, etc, etc, etc. Every community is unique in it's own way but every community is not an island. It is time to move on and stop looking for skin color and stop using racism as an excuse.

Why don't we see articles and news reports on the lack of Cuban, Irish, French or Russian Baseball managers? Why is it after a round of manager is hired in a sport we do not focus on the qualities of those people but tally up the skin color and bitch that not enough are black.

We had a shooting here last year with the criminal and one officer dead at the end. The police were called heroes and the officer mourned. If that criminal was black it would have been a different story, I am sorry but it is true. I have seen it time and time again in Rochester, NY; there was one shooting when the local black community called the police racist, and the officer that shot the criminal was black.

What bugs me the most is that this is the boy who cried wolf! When every hire, and police incident, and election, and sports hire, and political appointment is criticized for not being black and called racist; then people lose interest and turn a deaf ear to the cry. And when a true incident of racism does occur (which it does) it is swept under the rug and ignored and lost amid the bleating of the flock. And THAT ladies and gentlemen is the real crime.

2 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Aunt Murry said...

Once again you have read my mind and have said it more gracious than I am sure than I could have.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Brent said...

Whoa...have you been holding that in long? Actually, a great post, as always. If you get a chance, watch the movie "Crash". It blew me away!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home