Saturday, September 13, 2008

Doing My Duty...

What an incredible month!  First off, I finally took the big plunge and took Wood Badge.  What is Wood Badge you ask.  Well it is the ultimate in Adult Training for Scout Leaders.  It is such an incredible program that many Fortune 500 companies audit the program and use it as corporate training for their management.  Several of my fellows had their fee paid for by their company, alas I was not one of them.

So Wood Badge is split into two 3-day weekends.  The first one is pretty much class time at a scout camp.  We go through the entire Scout program as if we were a boy, starting with Cub Scouts and having a Den Mom (or Dad) and holding Den Meetings and Skill times etc.  In between all that is some fantastic staff presentations on Group Forming stages, Leadership styles, understanding and applying certain styles to certain group dynamics, etc.  Really in depth stuff.  We are then put into Critter Patrols (mine is Eagle) and you operate as a Patrol for the rest of the course.  I met what I can honestly consider some friends for life in my patrol.  We break for 3 weeks (we have to meet at least once for a project, we met twice and held many email conferences) then meet again for a backpacking campout weekend. 

So I start with the first weekend then end up going camping again the every next weekend with my Troop to our Junior Leader Training where I help teach and cook for 20 Scouts.  I get back from that one Sunday afternoon and go back to work.  Three days later I am called and picked for Jury Duty.  I got to sit on a Assault with a deadly weapon case for two days (we found him not guilty) and then worked the following weekend.  After that was done I went back to Wood Badge for the final weekend in which we cooked for ourselves on backpacking stoves and had a nice campfire the final night...

that all being said I have spent the past 3 out of 4 weekends in the woods, sat on a jury for two days and then helped my station convert it's newscasts to High Def...

Today I am sick and stayed home and did nothing ALL DAY, I even took a nap in the afternoon!!!!!

1 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Blogger Mindie said...

We are signing my kids up for Cub Scouts today!

I have a question for you. Yesterday I registered my daughter for Brownies. To participate in the activities, I had to sign up as a Girl Scout, too. Is it the same way in the Boy Scouts? Since my husband is deployed in Afghanistan, can a mom be a Boy Scout?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home