Friday, December 24, 2004

Twas the night before Chirstmas......

Twelve years ago on this very night I was driving home from work. I
was a part-time TV technician and the wife was a waitress at a local
steak house. While we were not poor we had very little money living
in a small one bedroom apartment in Watertown New York, expecting our
first child. We had not picked up a tree for they were too expensive
($25) for us and we just didn't have the money. We had our gifts and
two Christmas stockings from Jamesway, we were young and happy and
ready for Christmas. So on the way home I passed a farm with a tree
stand that had a little "Charlie Brown" tree leaning against the fence
post. I pulled up to the house and knocked on the door at 7:00pm on
Christmas Eve and asked how much they wanted for the tree. The man
looked at me and the tree and then just walked out with some twine and
helped me tie it to the roof on my little Chevy Cavalier, I thanked
him, wished him Merry Christmas and put $5 in the tip jar.

When I got home I went to our storage area and dug out an old tree
stand my parents had given us when they last visited and a string of
lights I had hanging in my dorm room for years. I set the tree up and
found a package of candy canes and ribbons the wife had bought to
decorate gifts with. Up went the tree, with the lights, draped with
Candy Canes and ribbon. With a card for the wife and a box under the
tree we celebrated our first, and best, Christmas as a family.

To one and all Merry Christmas!

1 Comments:

At 12:59 AM, Blogger Greg Beck said...

YOU, have a merry Christmas!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home