Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What I Just Read...

Today I have a book review. I am an avid reader and usually finish several books a month. And while I have rambling tastes on books when I finished this one I knew I had to share my thoughts on it.

Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L Swanson

WOW, in a word. This non-fiction book held me from start to finish. It goes from the day Richmond, VA fell to the aftermath of all the participants in this historic event. The author draws on vast amounts of research including but not limited to newspaper reports, official correspondence, military reports, personal letters, diaries and family writings to get to the heart of this story. This is one I will definitely make the boy read and already suggested it to the wife. It gets into the mindset of the people at the time. The end of war, the remaining bitter feelings, the 'smallness' of the world, the expectations of people at the time. When all was said and done the Garrett's (whose farm Booth was captured in) were more concerned by the fact that they had refused a traveler the comforts of a meal and bed then the fact that they were harboring the President's assassin. It is a spellbinding trip as we follow Booth for 12 days and the ensuing manhunt for this man and his band. Go out and find a copy right away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home