Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Day After...

We made it another Halloween. We had tons of kids, little ones and the older sort. The wife and I had a nice but interrupted dinner and watched a little TV till 8pm when Trick or Treaters had to stop. We then packed some candy and went to my parents' house were the boy and my niece and nephew were. Instead of hanging with the homies the boy decided to hang with his two Aunts and his 3 year old nephew and almost 2 year old niece. He, the kids and his grandfather all went Trick or Treating in their neighborhood. They had a blast and the boy made a good choice. His second one came this morning when he woke me and told me that he had both Pep Band and Marching Band practice today (3-5:30 then 6-9) but he also had to finish up a project due tomorrow (he has been working on it but it needs a few finishing touches and a reprint on nice paper). So he asked if myself or his mother could pick him up after Pep Band and he would skip Marching Band to finish the project. I was very proud!!!

My very first Works For Me Wednesday: we have had a way to get rid of Halloween candy for a long time. We do not use it anymore as the boy is 13 and does not fall for it......

We used the Candy Faerie. Every year after the trick or treating the boy would make a keeper pile (small to medium) of the candy he would eat in the next week or so. Stuff to put in the lunch box or that special post Halloween snack. The rest would be put in a bag for the Candy Faerie. He would put the bag at the end of the bed and go to sleep. The next morning the Candy Faerie had come and taken the candy to boys and girls who did not have candy and would leave a small toy in return. Matchbox car, action figure, book, it did not matter that most of the candy was gone. He still got to eat his favorite candy AND got a cool toy in return. We knew it was over when a few years ago he made his piles and looked at us and said I hope the Candy Faerie brings the new Ratchet and Clank (PS2 game=$50) for me this year....Game Over.

2 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Awesome! Mine are 9 and 14 years old, but I'm going to introduce them to the Candy Fairie as soon as they get home from school. I love it!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Aunt Murry said...

That is a really good idea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home