Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Update and WFMW

On the myspace issue. The boy has been very responsible on the Internet (except the for Playboy search) so we let him have the myspace page. He has 30 some odd friends and everyone one is a classmate (except my brother, my sister and his aunt). I was a little torn as I do not want to keep him locked away from the world so that when he hits High School he is that weird kid who still watches Power Rangers and believes in Santa. But he does not need to be exposed to the world in all of it's dirty glory. I am still a little torn and will be seeking some guidance...

I gave my poor friend Mindy a tongue lashing the other day on seeing Santa before Thanksgiving. Sorry Mindy!!! I have always felt that Christmas does not start till the end of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. At the end of the parade Santa Claus comes in his sled and waves to the crowds and then AND ONLY THEN has the Christmas season started!!!!!

Which lead me to:
Christmas Eve: After the boy wrote his letter to Santa and left out the milk and cookies, he always added carrots for the reindeer. We would buy a bunch of carrots (green tops and all) and leave those. When he went to bed and the gifts were put out we would do the following:
1. Eat half a cookie and drink some milk
2. Write, with the opposite hand, a thank you note from Santa
3. Knock over the piled wood in the fireplace
4. Place an ash footprint on the floor with a boot
5. Snap off the green part of the carrot and leave them outside on the deck
6. Toss some of the carrots on the roof so that when the boy went out to see the deck carrots he would look up and see carrots on the roof where the reindeer dropped them

The wife and I always had a good time doing that and the boy always enjoyed it. The downside was in spring when I cleaned out the gutters I would always find some carrot bits.....but it was worth it.

5 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Aunt Murry said...

How cool!!!

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The carrot idea is so cute! I love it.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent! Can you just imagine the excitement your child must feel at the sight of them!

I am planning something similar. I have been on the look out for Jingle Bells. My idea is to stand next to the house, out of sight, and give it a good jingle when Paddy is putting the Munchkin to bed! There's lots of kid in the neigbourhood so I hope they will hear them too and have a bit of extra excitement added to their Christmas eve!

Thanks!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Mindie said...

Hey Bryan! I'm not upset about the tongue lashing. I do agree with you, and I promise not to take the kids to Santa until after Thanksgiving, no matter how long the lines will be, no matter how packed like sardines the mall will be. :)

I love your Christmas night tradition. We usually just put out some chocolate chip cookies and milk.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Rae said...

What a cute idea! I would've loved to witness this as a child..can't wait to do it for my own children! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home