Monday, November 13, 2006

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!

Got this in the email today....

Bryan:

Thanks for participating in my Spread the Darkness contest to help promote the upcoming release of my new horror novel Darkness Wakes. You are one of the winners of a signed advanced reading copy. Let me know if you'd like me to personalize your book or just sign and date it. Also, if you send me a mailing address, I'll ship your book right out.

Thanks for entering and helping me spread the darkness!

Tim

Tim Waggoner
http://www.timwaggoner.com
http://www.myspace.com/tim_waggoner
Upcoming Release: Darkness Wakes from Leisure Books

With the dawning of the computer age most if not all of my authors have websites with contact info. The big boys have the generic email that the assistant reads or some such. But the newer and more hip of these actually read and reply to messages. I have contacted several of them to give my 2 cents on the books they write. Most are good and not the gushing I am your biggest fan, and some are critical. I once wrote Jeff Shaara on my doubts on him pulling off a WWI book. The compact version is that his books on the Civil War and revolution worked because the Generals and Leaders took the field and were n the mud with the men. In WWI and WWII it was more armchair leadership, except for the odd Patton or Rommel. Those insights with Washington, Lee, Jackson were what made those books. I did not want to read about Pershing sitting at a desk for the war. Mr. Shaara wrote back an extensive email saying he had the same thoughts but it was working out, etc.... The point being is he read the email and put together a well thorough response.

I read one of Mr. Waggoner's books and dropped him a line that I liked it and he set up a fantastic setting and I was hoping for more. In his response he directed me to a contest he was having and that I should enter it. And several weeks later, here I am; a winner. I never win these things so please forgive the little me party I am having!

PS Please visit or look up the following authors. they are great reads and all have responded to my emails: Tim Waggoner, Jeff Shaara, Coln Iggulden, Simon Scarrow off the top of my head. They got horror, historical fiction, Rome, Civil War and Julius Ceasar.

1 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Aunt Murry said...

I had to laugh at the title! Congratulations. I wish I made more time to read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home