Monday, April 05, 2004

DST

For the first time in my 33 (almost 34) years I did not have to change a single clock this weekend. I now live in a state that does not believe in Daylight Savings Time. The reasons are unknown to my many native Hoosier friends. All they know is now we must watch non-local shows an hour earlier. Soprano's, The Shield, Trading Spaces and SpongeBob are all on an hour earlier. Saturday I was the same time as New York, today I am the same time as Chicago. Takes a little getting used to.

I remember being a kid (around 6th grade) and arguing with my folks about how I didn't have to be at school until 9am because what was 8am last week was now 9am this week and since I had to be at school at 8am I don't have to be there until 9am because 9am this week was last weeks 8am.....sounds normal right?

The most hated part of DSL was when I worked overnights at the TV station. See when we 'Fall Back" everyone is happy because you all get an extra hour of sleep. But for the person who works say 10pm till 6am at 3am it became 2am again and you had to wait until 6am for your relief to get there. Yea the reverse was true when we "Sprung Forward", but you work overnights, counting the hours only to have to recount an extra hour. It wasn't like something good was on TV either, the networks just ran an extra hour of their 30 minute multi-repeating generic overnight newscast. Watch that 6 times in a row and never wonder why some worker went 'postal'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home