Wednesday, April 28, 2004

The Time Is Now Again

It's funny. It's all about timing. I've been thinking of my old job in New York. Thinking of the people and comfort zone I left. There are a bunch of people I miss. Some were friends, others co-workers, and a few I don't miss at all.

See I left rather quickly, my 2 week notice coming out of the blue for some and then I was gone. I gave my 2 weeks, spent an extra few days packing then I left the state. Gone forever. Some took the time to say good-bye. I got a few calls from old evening co-workers and some old friends stopped by at my going away party. I was a little disappointed my boss said nothing. He would make a big deal about the summer intern leaving but the guy who was employed for 8 years got nothing. That's fine, I had to send out my own "He's Leaving" notice and got several nice e-mails from people who worked upstairs.

I miss my old AM crew. I got along with all of them, some better than others but all in all enjoyed working with them and always had a good time. It was like working with your brothers, sometimes you fight and are pissed at each other but at the end of the day (or week) you were OK with each other. And that's the way it was then. Sure we had our disagreements but by 1:50pm we were all hanging out in Master joking, laughing and ready for quitting time. These are the same guys I hear from, a phone call or e-mail every once in a while. Friends.


The Evening crew was another story. I worked that shift for several years and had some good times and made some good friends, but something happened and the shift became undesirable. Most of my fellow co-workers can narrow down that 'something' but thankfully this happened after I went to mornings. And during layoffs, when schedules had to be changed, most of us in the AM were dreading a shift to nights, noone wanted to work that. At night they had the favorites, the unwanted and the "I just want to do my job and go home" people. Just imagine going to work everyday just to sit at the same position for 8 hours/ 5 days a week because you pissed someone off, or had the wrong opinion. I would hate work too.

For some reason this group was the same group that disagreed with me as Union President, yet I never saw the loudest ones running for office. Just sneaking round back planning sabotage during negotiations, then lying about it to me, our national rep and the company. Very mature, and wouldn't they love to know that one of their own turned them in!!.

So here we have a group of people who had a low opinion of me, wanted nothing to do with me (personally or professionally) yet now they read my blog and it is apparently topic of conversion at the water cooler. I hear that some of my opinions are bullshit (my Easter/church rant) and my work posts are full of lies. When I heard (and saw) that they were reading, my first reaction was "oh, shit', but just for a moment. Then I realized that a) I never gave a rat's ass about what these people think and b) that for a group of people that didn't want anything to do with me when I was there, they sure are keeping up on my life now that I have gone. Guys, I never knew you cared!!

Bottom line is I write this for me, always have always will. The opinions are mine, what I truly believe. The stories are true (with names changed to protect the innocent). I started this blog to get things off my chest, then to throw my opinions into the virtual sea. I never really expected it to be read by others, but it has been and I thank my loyal readers (all 2 of you) for coming back every once in awhile. Thanks!

Now here's the funny thing. I feel sad for some of these old co-workers. If you are one of them, who have by now heard of the site, and are reading this because you truly want to see what is going on here in Indy, then please read on and drop me a line sometime. You others, who have nothing better in their lives to do, go find something. Move on, get a hobby, enjoy life, hell even start a blog. You can call it the "My Life Is So Miserable That I Only Feel Better Ripping On Bryan's Life" Blog. Send the URL so I can visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home