Wednesday, May 16, 2007

CSI: Indy

I awoke at 2:30am thinking my wife was having a coughing fit. All was quiet in the house and I fell back asleep. When I got up for good at 7am and let the boy out for school I noticed that the front door was busted. The door was closed but the wood strip were one would latch the door close was splintered and there was a hole in the wall behind the door where the knob would hit. I had locked the door at midnight and everything was fine. Looking at the outside of the door I noticed some footprints square in the middle. I then realized that the coughing fit that woke me was probably the dog barking when the door was kicked open.

I called the police and checked the house. Nothing was missing. The dog sleeps on the stairs landing and it is near the front door. Best we can guess is someone kicked in the door but heard the dog barking and closed it quick (so the dog would not follow) and ran. This is the first "break in" attempt in our area in some time and one officer suggested it might have been a drunk. He has seen many a drunk person banging on locked doors trying to get into "their' house when it is not. The officers took the report and some pictures (I helped with my ruler next to the hole in the wall) and then left. I took some screws to the wood and fixed the door so that it closes tight and locks. I now have to call the insurance company and see what is covered in replacing the front door.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger Mindie said...

Man, that's scary! I'm glad you and your family are okay and that nothing was stolen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home