Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tuesday's With Bryan

Welcome back...

Quick Hits:
The boy took a bat to the head yesterday at practice. It was a swing stick bat but it did put a nice slice in the scalp that did bleed for awhile. He seems fine but will have a small scar on the head. It wouldn't be baseball season without him getting whacked.

The neighbor is building the fence I knocked over. I bought wood for it last week and was out there getting ready when the boyfriend came over and said he wanted cedar instead of the pressure treated I had. I figured sure, I knocked it down I will replace it. He then said I could just buy the wood and he would build it "his way". Even better for me. He's a little weird, wouldn't figure my neighbor falling for someone like him...oh well to each their own.

Book Report: Just finished The Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn yesterday. For those not in the know it is the story of Mr. Kahn and his life with the Brooklyn Dodgers. As a boy in Brooklyn he grew up within shouting distant of Ebbett's Field. Then as a young man he was a sports writer that covered the Dodgers and then as an older man he went back to visit the heroes of his youth. These were the Dodgers of Jackie Robinson and Pee Wee Reese, Duke Snider, Carl Erskine, et al. It is incredible to see the dynamic between players and writers at that time. Then to see what the "Best Team in Baseball", a team that dominated baseball for a decade, broke the color barrier and won a World Series; becomes after20 years. All were out of baseball (except Gil Hodges) and all were working hard to make ends meet. People forget that the players of yesteryear were paid nothing and had no fall back or had the free agent option. It is a fantastic look at one of the greatest teams in baseball history and what they put up with as the first integrated baseball team. I highly recommend it! Check out my Book Page at Ex Libris...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger Brent said...

The worst part of head cuts is they BLEED so much. It makes it look worse than it actually is!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home