Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What The?

Yesterday was a long day at work. We broke with the VTech story during the noon show and had to sit through coverage till after the 6pm. As the day went on it got worse and worse. I was glad to be home and able to flip the channel and get away from it.

It is hard sometimes to remain objective in my business. You get hammered by images sometimes all day long that they lose meaning. Maybe objective is the wrong word, maybe compassionate? We laugh and joke a lot during the day because I think it is an easy way to deal with hours of negativity shoved in your face. The people at home have a choice of what to watch we do not.

Two things have stayed with me for some time now. First and foremost is 9/11. I worked that day and called in the next. I lived there in NYC and I have yet to be back to the city. We went to New York last week. The boy wanted to see Ground Zero. We did not go as we had several other things going on. But deep down I am glad we did not. I am not sure how I will take it. I get upset (read pissed) when I see footage used of that day as if it was just any other b-roll. I think too many people have forgotten it already!

The other picture that has stayed with me for years is the Oklahoma bombing. The photo of the fireman carrying that little girl. I had to make several graphics of that during that week. It came to a point where I could not look at it anymore. Someone will have it on a show or package occasionally and I am shocked at my reaction when it catches me off guard. I thought of posting a link to it so you know which one I am talking about but I do not even want to Google it.

I feel for those people at Virginia Tech and will say a little prayer for them. I would hate to see them become the new poster children for school violence. The last thing one of them wants is to see themselves being carried with blood all over to an ambulance while they are still trying to recover.......

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Blogger Aunt Murry said...

I understand. I lived in OK when The bombing happened. I too was reluctant to go to the site but you know, I went and was oddly at peace afterwards. I paid homage to them and it helped me. I don't know if that helps or not.

I went to see "Arlinton Rd" in 1999, 4 years after the bombing and walked out of the movie when I realized they used pics of the Murrah Bldg as the Federal offices in St. Louis. I was pissed!

I could not watch much of the VT shootings. It's too much. It hurts my heart. When the Towers fell I could not keep my eyes off the TV but this I couldn't watch.

Anyway, I hope you had a good Vacation. I did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home